One of the most noticeable features of Hamad International Airport in Doha is a giant teddy bear which appears to have his head stuck inside a mega table lamp, at the centre of the retail area.
Check out these 10 facts and you would know that it is not an ordinary teddy, but an iconic piece of art worth millions of dollars.
1. It is a world-famous sculpture created by Urs Fischer, New York-based Swiss artist, in 2005/2006.
2. The teddy is not made out of fur and foam, but out of cast bronze.
3. It weighs approximately 18-20 tons.
4. The height of the teddy is 23 feet (7 meters).
5. The piece is the largest of 3 editions created. The other two are privately owned.
6. It was previously displayed in front of the Seagram Building on New York’s Park Avenue.
7. It is reported to be bought by a member of the Qatar royal family for just over $6.8 million (QR 25 million) from an auction at Christie’s New York.
8. According to the Christie’s website, the Untitled (Lamp/Bear) piece brightly celebrates the objects that define a young child’s life.
9. The piece had been inspired by Urs Fischer’s own much-loved teddy bear.
10. Fischer sewed together a one-foot tall teddy bear and scanned it with a 3-D laser to generate drawings to create the sculpture.