Passport is the most important document required for traveling abroad. At one point of time, issuing of a passport was a tedious task and most people would rely on travel agents for the same.
The agents’ charges for getting you the newborn baby’s passport were even higher. Thanks to the revolutionary measures and extensive digitalization, it is now much easier to obtain a passport in India. So, here are the steps for obtaining passport for new born baby:
At the time of your baby’s birth, generally, the hospital will give you a form regarding the relevant details that will be sent to government bodies to obtain the birth certificate. So, you don’t have to worry too much about the procedure. However, in some cases you might need to apply yourself:
Birth Certification Procedure
- Obtain registration form by the nearest registrar.
- Fill it and submit at nearest local authority like municipality corporate office or panchayat that will do the proper verification with the hospital.
- Check the registration details of certificate with the nearest district Statistical office.
Assuming that you have filled all the information correctly the birth certificate should be issued within 2-4 weeks.
- Parents’ birth certificates (Passport is also accepted)
- Marriage certificate of the parents
- Proof of birth letter in hospital
- Parents’ identity proof (for verification)
Be very careful with the information, names and spellings as they can present a major issue at the time of applying for the passport. So, once you receive the birth certificate match the information and spellings carefully and apply immediately if there is any discrepancy.
Obtaining Passport for your new born baby
Due to high-end digitalization, obtaining the passport has now become a lot easier. Besides, the passport department has also revolutionized the overall system aimed at offering utmost convenience to the applicants.
Depending upon various situations you need to carry different forms to the passport office. Here are the details:
- Go to Passport Seva Website to apply for the baby’s passport. If you belong to a small town you might not find the exact Passport Seva Kendra of your town in the drop-down list. No worries, you can use a big town in your neighborhood. For example, if you belong to Pilani, Rajasthan, and don’t see that town’s name in the menu you can use Jaipur.
- After registering on passport website portal, login with the registered Id and click apply for fresh passport. Fill the required details and submit
- A few special categories like Senior Citizens and Minors are eligible for direct walk-ins. Hence as a minor, your baby does not need the prior appointment. The website also offers the facility for online payment of the fees. You would need to print the Application Receipt that would be required to enter inside the passport office.
On the website, you will find several annexure forms for parents. Take the print out of the one that applies to you. Here are the details of relevant annexure forms:
- If both parents visit the Passport Seva Kendra.
- If one parent is in abroad then Annexure H can be filled and sent by him/her. It should be attested by Indian Mission of that country. Alternatively, Annexure G can also be also considered.
- Only Single parent alive
- Only one parent visits the office. The form should be accompanied with a nonjudicial stamp paper attested by the judicial or executive magistrate.
- If one parent lives abroad and could not send the Annexure H.
- If a parent submitting the form is unable to get the consent of another parent due to intentional or situational reasons.
- Details of whereabouts of one parent aren’t known.
- Parents are separated (Not divorced).
If only one parent holds a valid passport then s/he needs to have his spouse name endorsed on it. If it isn’t already endorsed then s/he needs to reapply for the passport and endorse the spouse name in personal particulars.
Likewise, if one parent is non-Indian s/he has to declare that s/he doesn’t have objection applying for India passport and they have not applied for baby’s passport in any other country.
If both the parents reside abroad they can make a joint sworn affidavit appoint a local guardian who can submit applications. The affidavit should be duly attested by the Indian mission in that country.
If the guardian is not one of the grandparents of the child an affidavit with 2 responsible persons is also required.
At the office
The Passport office has a modern ambiance and offers an array of convenient services. The staff is courteous and helpful.
They especially take care of specific categories like elders; minors etc. and ensure that they should not face unnecessary inconvenience during the process. For minors’ passport there is a simple 3 steps procedure:
- Relevant annexure form
- Application Receipt
- One color photograph measuring 4.5X3.5 cm pasted on the form is required. Black and white photograph are not acceptable. It should have white background and dark dress
- Original and photocopy of parent’s passports
- Marriage certificates are not required, but taking it with you won’t harm either
- The fees to be payable at the office. Normal passport costs Rs.1000 while Tatkal costs Rs.3000. Take sufficient extra money along with you
Upon producing you application receipt and going inside, you will be given a file with a token number on it. At the waiting area, your name will be displayed on the monitor telling where to go.
Step1: Here your originals and baby’s fingerprints will be taken by the official. It takes up to 10 minutes. It is the most vital step as your child’s passport will be made on the originals provided here. Ensure regarding the information accuracy and spellings as the baby’s passport will be based on the originals provided.
Step 2: Additional verification by the government employee is done and within 5 minutes the pressure is completed just the cross verification
Step 3: The passport issuing official who will only ask for your originals and frees you within 4 minutes
After that go to the exit section and give them your token number and application receipt. They will give you acknowledgment receipt that will tell you minor things like verification required or not. Email will be given for printing fast dispatch message between 10 and 15 days
Time Duration and Fees
- A new passport generally takes 30 days to reach while Tatkal applications need 1-7 days.
- The normal passport fee is Rs.1000 while the Tatkal fee is Rs.3000.
- There is a national call center in 17 Indian languages. Round the clock email or mobile apps can also be used to know about the update,
- On the passport Seva website click on the appropriate passport type and enter 15 digit file number printed on of the acknowledgment letter at right corner and enter the birth date then click track status
- All the communication would be done through email so double check the email address. Also keep on checking the mail regularly to check the update.