Qatar’s new free transit visa scheme has come into effect on 1 November 2016. Under the new system, travellers with layovers of five hours or more at Hamad International Airport can request for a complimentary transit visa.
The scheme will allow transiting passengers of all nationalities to enter Qatar for up to 96 hours in between flights.
Here are 10 things you need to know about the free transit visa:
1. Requirements to be eligible for free transit visa
To be eligible for the free transit visa, passengers must have :
- a confirmed ticket for a journey into Qatar, with a confirmed onward journey out of the
country on a Qatar Airways-operated flight,
- a passport that is valid for a minimum of six months from the time of arrival in Qatar, and
- a valid email id to facilitate the visa process.
2. Application period
Visa applications should be made at least seven days (excluding public holidays) prior to arrival in
Qatar and a maximum of 90 days.
3. Application through QA office or QA website
A pre-approved transit visa for duration between 5 to 96 hours must be processed through a Qatar Airways Office or through the Qatar Airways website.
Here is the link to apply for visa online.
4. Visa processing time
The processing time for the visa application is a minimum of seven days days excluding Public holidays.
5. Visa validity
Visa is valid for 90 days from date of issue. As the entry to the State of Qatar with approved visa must be within 90 days, passengers are requested to keep this in mind while planning their itinerary and visa submission.
6. Visit duration
The visa is valid for 96 hours. Stay beyond 96 hours is not permitted under this scheme.
7. Passport requirements
- Individual passport per visitor is mandatory (including infants).
- A clear passport copy is required to be submitted at a Qatar Airways office or through Qatar Airways website.
- Passport should be valid for minimum 06 months at the time of entry into Qatar (not at the time of application).
8. Ticket requirements
- Confirmed tickets for a journey into Qatar and the onward journey out of Qatar must be on Qatar Airways ticket document.
- Layover in Qatar should be at least 5 hours.
- Both the flights must be operated by Qatar Airways.
- The facility is not applicable for travel where Doha is the point of turnaround e.g. BOM-DOH-BOM.
Customers must hold a copy of the approved transit visa at the time of boarding and upon arrival into Qatar.
9. Approval authority
Entry into Qatar will be at the discretion of the immigration authorities. Qatar Airways will not be responsible for the decision of the immigration authorities.
Qatar Airways offices acts only as a processing agent for visa applications and will not be liable for any expenses incurred should there be a delay in visa issuance or rejection from the Ministry of Interior, State of Qatar.
10. Visa rejection upon arrival
In case of visa rejection upon arrival into Qatar, passenger may travel onwards if holding a valid visa for final destination or make alternative arrangements of return travel to origin/other destination on his own expense.
- Qatar Visa On Arrival : Eligible Professions, Countries and Procedures
- Indian Tourist will soon get Visa On Arrival in Qatar
The unutilized portion of the original ticket however may be refunded without penalties. Optionally you may change your itinerary free of charge for rebooking in the same cabin.
All other expenses including accommodation costs in Qatar if any, must be borne by the passenger. In addition, reservations & ticketing terms and conditions apply.
- Published on 1 November 2016 - By Aneesh V