As Doha residents are getting ready to experience their first rides in Doha Metro, here are the essential things you need to know about the Metro service:
Three types of travel cards
To travel on Doha metro, you will need to buy a travel card. Three different types of travel cards are available for Doha Metro:
- Limited Use Travel Cards – One time use only; Use in Standard & Family class
- Standard Travel Card – Rechargeable; Plastic; Costs QR 10 for the card; Use in Standard & Family class
- Gold Travel Cards – Rechargeable; Plastic; Costs QR 100 for the card; Use in Gold class
1. Limited Use Cards
These are single use cards, that cannot be recharged. There is no cost for the card. You just need to pay for the journey.
Passengers can opt for single journey ticket or a Day Pass. A Day Pass allows unlimited journeys for one day.
- In Standard & Family class, one journey costs QR 2 and Day Pass costs QR 6.
- In Gold class, one journey costs QR 10 and a Day Pass costs QR 30.
Limited Use Travel Cards can be purchased from self-service Travel Card Vending Machines (TVMs) at all Doha Metro stations.
These cards are more suitable for visitors and occasional users.
2. Rechargeable Cards
There are two types of rechargeable plastic cards:
- Standard card which costs QR 10 (This can be used in Standard class & Family class)
- Gold card which costs QR 100 (This can be used in Gold class which is more luxurious)
This card must have Travel Credit added to it before you can use it to travel. You can add Travel Credit by “Topping Up” at a TVM (Travel Card Vending Machine) at all Doha Metro stations, which can also be done at the same time as purchasing the card.
A travel card can be used again and again as it is valid for five years.
Gold cards can be purchased at Gold Club offices in all Metro stations.
Apart from Metro stations, the Standard card is also available at licensed retailers like Al Meera, Lulu, Jumbo and Carrefour.
The cards available at retailers are priced at QR 30 including Travel Credit for QR 20.
However licensed retailers are not able to top up travel cards. You can top up the card with travel credit at self-service machines at Doha Metro stations only.
The official mobile app which can also be used to recharge, is currently in the testing stage and not fully operational.
These cards are more suitable for frequent users rather than occasional users.
— Qatar Rail (@qrc_official) May 7, 2019
- For Standard class, rate per journey is QR 2 (irrespective of the distance*)
- For Gold class, rate per journey is QR 10
- Adult and child fares are the same for any class
* The Travel Card will be scanned/punched twice during any journey: first while entering the platform and second time while exiting the platform.
Travelling with children
Anyone aged 5 and above needs a Travel Card to travel on Doha Metro. Children aged 4 and below do not need a Travel Card and must be accompanied by a fare paying adult.
- Adult and child fares are the same
A child must be 9 years old or above to travel alone on the network. Younger kids should be accompanied by someone at least 16 years of age.
Maximum charge per day
If you travel multiple times during a day using Standard or Gold Club cards, there is a daily limit on the amount charged. The maximum is three times the normal journey rate. From the fourth ride onwards, the ride is free of charge.
- That means, you will pay no more than QR 6 a day (for Standard) and QR 30 a day (for Gold) no matter how many journeys you make in a single day.
All the above cards are valid on both Doha Metro and Lusail Tram.
Out of the 18 Red Line stations, the initial operation which begins on 8 May 2019, will include 13 stations (from Qassar to Wakra)
Doha Metro timings
For the time being, Doha Metro will be working from Sunday through Thursday from 08:00 to 23:00 and not on the weekends. More details can be found on official website.
Free bus ride and special taxi deals
Mowasalat will be running metrolink feeder buses from stations. Also Karwa taxis will be offering a flat promotional fare of QR 8 for metro commuters.
“Karwa taxi paasengers travelling to and from any metro station can book your taxi through Karwa App using promo code RAIL to avail flat QR 8 promotional fare for a journey within 3 kilometers,” the transporter said in a tweet on Tuesday.
Published on 7 May 2019