[UPDATED : 23 November 2015]
If you’re thinking about bringing your family out to Qatar to live with you, you will need to arrange for residence visas for them.
If your monthly salary is over QR 10,000, your spouse and/or children are eligible for Family Residence Visas, under your sponsorship, once your residence visa and Qatar ID card have been issued.
Before you begin the application process for Family Residence Visas, check with your employer to see if they make provision for these. Employers are not obliged to process or pay for Family Residence Visas, but some companies do take care of this process as part of their policy.
One of the things to be aware of when applying for visas is that male children aged 25 years and over are not eligible to be on either parent’s visa; there is no age restriction for daughters, as long as they are not married.
There are certain simple administrative steps to follow when applying for Family Residence Visas. Your employer will usually take care of these administrative steps, so please check before you get started:
- Your family can enter Qatar on entry visas.
- They must then undergo the medical test and have their fingerprints taken.
- The application for residence visas is only made after the medical tests have been completed.
- The application process takes up to 6 weeks.
Spouses who wish to work, require special dispensation (in the form of a work permit) in order to be able to work while in their spouse’s sponsorship. This work permit is issued by the Ministry of Labor’s Employment Department.
When applying for a Family Residence Visa, you will need to prepare the following documents:
- A completed application form [Download Form]
- A letter from your employer, stating your position in the company and your monthly salary
- Six months’ worth of bank statements
- Copies of all family members’ passports
- Copy of marriage certificate – attested by your country’s embassy in Qatar, as well as Qatar’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Copy of children’s birth certificates – attested by your country’s embassy in Qatar, as well as Qatar’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Copy of electricity bill to show proof of address OR tenancy contract attested by Municipality
- If you have adopted children, statements of adoption as well as reasons for adoption will be required
Things to remember when making your application:
- You must have a Qatar ID / Residence Card before you apply for residence visas for your family
- The application must be filled out (typed) in Arabic. This can be done at a typing centre
- While you will only need to leave copies behind, you will need to show all originals at the time of application, so please be sure to bring all original documents with you (including bank statements)
You must earn at least QR 10,000 in order to be eligible to sponsor your family
- If you work for a government agency, your employer’s letter stating your position and salary, will need to be approved by the Ministry of Civil Service Affairs and Housing
TIP : It is advised to go a typing centre and get the application form done, as it is in Arabic. Also double check with the typing centre about procedure, as the rules change from time to time.
Visa issuance Fee: QR 200