Frequently Asked Questions about Lost or Damaged Passport


Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about lost and damaged Indian passport.

Q1: What is the definition of damaged passport?

A: Damaged passport is classified further based on the extent of damage, i.e.:

  • Damaged Passport – Passport number is readable, name is legible and photo is intact
  • Damaged beyond recognition

Q2: What can I do if I have lost my passport and have to travel to India urgently due to an emergency like serious illness or death in the family?

A: If you have lost your passport during traveling, then you can come to India on the basis of “Emergency Certificate”. For the issuance of “Emergency Certificate”, you need to contact the respective mission/post of that country.

Q3: What are my responsibilities when applying for a passport, if my old passport has been lost or damaged?

A: Loss of passport should be immediately reported to the nearest Police Station and to the Passport Office (PO) or Indian Mission, if abroad.

Also apply for “Re-issue” of passport at your nearest Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) and submit the required documents along with your passport application form.

Q4: What is the procedure to apply for duplicate passport in case of lost or damaged passport?

A: To apply for duplicate passport in case of lost or damaged passport, you need to apply for “Re-issue” of passport.

Q5: I am an Indian living abroad. I lost my Indian passport but I don’t have photocopy of the same. What should I do?

A: Photocopy of the old passport is not a mandatory document to be submitted in case of lost/damaged/stolen passport. It should be produced, if it is available.

But you will be required to produce, the previous passport details like passport number, Date of issue, Date of expiry and place of issue, while filling the passport application form. If you do not have that information, then contact the respective mission/post of that country.

Q6: My passport booklet is damaged. I want to go abroad on urgent basis. What should I do?

A: In case your passport has not been damaged beyond recognition, i.e. passport number is legible, name is legible and photo is intact, then you can apply for re-issue of passport under the Tatkaal scheme.

But, if passport has been damaged beyond recognition, then you cannot apply under the Tatkaal scheme. In that case, you need to visit Passport Officer at your nearest Passport Seva Kendra to get the passport on urgent basis.

Q7: I lost my passport abroad and have been sent to India on Emergency Certificate. Can I be issued a new passport? If yes, what are the documents needed to get a passport?

A: In case of lost passport, you need to apply for re-issue of passport. Following documents must be submitted along with the application:

  • Proof of Present Address
  • Proof of Date of Birth
  • Affidavit stating how and where the passport got lost/damaged (Annexure ‘L’)
  • Police report in original
  • Self-attested photocopy of first two and last two pages, including ECR/Non-ECR page of old passport, if available.

Information Courtesy : Passport Seva

Related : 10 things to do if your Indian passport is lost

1 Comment


    I applied visa in Qatar,my passport is damage,than I applied passport and is came, but passport nunber is different, any problem for visa processing.

Leave A Reply