Dubai-based flydubai has announced its latest onboard services, offering passengers WiFi connectivity, live television streaming and a new seatback inflight entertainment interface.
From April 24, 2016 WiFi connectivity and Live TV are available through the Inflight portal for the first time on selected flights as flydubai continues to roll out the service across the rest of its fleet.
The wireless satellite-based network will allow passengers to buy a package from as low as $4 to get connected during a flight using their personal devices and from $8 to tune in to catch up with the news on BBC World News, Al Jazeera or Al Arabiya, enjoy Arabic shows on MBC1 or fascinating documentaries on Discovery.
IFE in numbers
Passengers can purchase a package to access all the content on the IFE for Dh35. Passengers travelling in Business Class can access all of IFE content free of charge.
- Total # of hours of entertainment (Movies / TV / Audio) – 2139
- Total # of movies on board – 292
- Total # of Hollywood movies on board – 218
- Total # of children’s movies on board – 56
- Total # of Arabic movies on board – 18
- Total # of World Cinema movies on board – 10
- Total # of Bollywood movies on board – 29
- Total # of Russian movies on board – 10
Passengers have a choice of purchasing one of four packages from as low as $4:
- WiFi all-flight pass $10
- WiFi 30-minute pass (on flights over 2 hours only) $4
- Live TV $8
- Messaging (access to WhatsApp, iMessage and Viber only) $2
- Premium package: Live TV & WiFi bundle $15
Passengers can tune in to watch streaming of five different channels live for $8:
- BBC World News – English
- Al Jazeera News Channel – English
- Al Arabiya News Channel – Arabic
- MBC 1- Arabic
- Discovery Channel English
Passengers travelling in Business Class can access all five Live TV channels free of charge.
The year 2016 sees flydubai reinvent its seatback inflight entertainment system introducing a more vibrant, user-friendly interface with more content than ever before from Hollywood, Bollywood, Arabic and Russian cinema.
Ghaith Al Ghaith, Chief Executive Officer of flydubai, said: “Flydubai has been committed to investing in product innovations and technologies that enhance the travel experience for our passengers from day one. We want to offer customers more choice, a greater experience and affordable access to the technologies we are all coming to expect in the air, just as we do on the ground.”
“Adding WiFi connectivity, live television along with our enhanced ground-breaking inflight entertainment system will allow us to continue to deliver that personalised flying experience our customers expect and appreciate,” he added.