Guide: How to change your name in Indian passport

The name is the prime identity of an individual, Hence it is of utmost importance on a person’s passport.
Change of a name, whether substantial or partial, must therefore be notified to the passport department in order to avoid any future complications while travelling.
With the latest rules one does not have to sweat it out in the passport office. You can easily go to the office and follow some simple procedure to get your name changed.
In case an individual wishes to change middle name or surname, he/she will have to visit the Passport Seva Kendra (Indian Embassy / Consulate for NRIs aborad) or the official website and apply for a ‘Re-issue’ of Passport.

1. What are the documents required while applying for a name change?

  • Duly filled in miscellaneous application form (available at Embassy / Consulate or download here)
  • Present passport (original) and a photocopy of first 2 and last 2 pages and all observation pages (f any)
  • For minor applicants, both parents’ signatures are required on the application form along with a photocopy of both parents’ passports
  • For NRIs applying at abroad missions, a copy of National ID Card / Visa issued by country of residence
  • 2 photographs (35mm x 35mm) color – against a light background showing full frontal view of the face
  • A court order indicating you to name change

2. What if an applicant does not have the court order for name change?

In case you don’t have an court order indicating name change, you would require:

  • Original cutting of the advertisement published in two English newspapers one in local newspaper, one in India both showing the date and the name of the newspaper advertised in.
  • The advertisement should be 1 month (30 days) old at the time of submission of the application.
  • Deed poll/sworn affidavit as per Annexure ‘E’ (Download here)

3. Does change of name includes minor spelling changes also?

The change in the name refers to:

  • Completely changing the name
  • Partial change in the spelling of the first or the last name
  • For the name change including addition of last name or spelling change in first middle or last name

4. What is major and minor change in name?

  • Minor change in name – change in name because of spelling discrepancy between passport and documents which phonetically do not result in total change in name.
  • Major change in name – Cases other than minor change in name.

5. Format for newspaper declaration (Adults)

I, ________________s on/daughter of______________, holder of Indian Passport No_____________, issued at _______ on ________, permanent resident of____________(full postal address in India to be given) and presently residing at_______________(full postal address in country of residence to be given) do hereby change my name from ________________ to ________________ with immediate effect.

6. Format for newspaper declaration (Minors)

I, ________________ father of______________, holder of Indian Passport No_____________, issued at ________ on ________, permanent resident of____________(full postal address in India to be given) and presently residing at_______________ (full postal address in UAE to be given) do hereby change my Son/daughter name from ________________ to________________ with immediate effect.

7. What additional documents are required in case of name change due to change in marital status?

Change in the woman’s name after marriage
In case the applicant is a married woman wishing to change her surname, she will have to provide copies of the marriage certificate and the husband’s passport (if any)
In case if the marriage certificate or joint affidavit cannot be provided then an Affidavit according to Annexure K (download here) can be provided
Change in woman’s name after divorce
In case the applicant is a divorcee wishing to revert back to her maiden name, copy of divorce decree is needed.
Change in woman’s name after husband’s death
In case the applicant is a widow, death certificate of the husband should be attached to the form

8. What is the procedure if a government employee (in India) wants to apply for major change in name in passport?

If a Government/Public Sector/Statutory body employee wants to make a major change in name, then he/she has to submit the following additional documents:

  • Gazette Notification changing name in applicant’s department
  • Fresh ID Certificate in changed name
  • Deed poll/sworn affidavit as per Annexure “E”(Download here)

Advertisement / declaration in a reading newspaper is not required.
The above information is sourced from the best sources and presented in a simple comprehensible language.
Still it is advised to check the official passport website of India as any latest change would be automatically updated there.

Related :

Share This With Someone Who Needs It

6 thoughts on “Guide: How to change your name in Indian passport”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  1. i just want to remove 2 letters from my son’s passport and other official documents. one letter from first name and one letter from second name. what are procedure. Do i need to give add to newspaper??

  2. my daughter is 18 month old , i want to change her name on her passport so what is the process to change the name ?

  3. Hi, I am an Indian women living in USA on H1-B. I changed my surname to my married name when I renewed my passport in July 2016 here in SF, CA. After changing came to know that its causing me issues. Can you please advice me how to revert back to my maiden name again on my passport here in USA.

  4. My son’s passport has his given name and surname together.. the surname has been left blank. It is reaching expiry this September 2017, should I apply for change of name or just enter his surname separately. Can you please guide me on the process

error: Content is protected !!
Scroll to Top