Guide: How to add a joint holder to a NRE/NRO account

Non-resident Indians are allowed to open Non-Resident (External) and Non-Resident (Ordinary) accounts, as well as FCNR deposits with banks.
The repatriation rules for each of these is different. While NRE accounts are freely repatriable, NRO account are conditionally so.
When opening an NRE account, the NRI can add a non-resident joint holder to the account. Here’s how.


A joint applicant inclusion request form needs to be obtained from the branch or downloaded from the bank website.
Joint holder details, customer ID (if he already holds an account with the bank), account operating instructions (jointly, either or survivor, anyone or survivor) must be indicated on the form.


Self attested copies of the following documents need to be enclosed:

  • Passport
  • Visa/OCI/PIO card/Resident permit
  • Overseas address proof
  • Initial paycheque of any amount from the joint applicant’s overseas account.

If the joint applicant is unable to provide the paycheque, the passport and visa copy must be duly attested by a foreign notary or Indian consulate general in the foreign country.
Alternative KYC documents permitted by the bank can be submitted in case of these documents are unavailable.


The completed and signed form with the necessary documents can be submitted either at the overseas bank branch, if there is one, or at the Indian branch (if the NRI is visiting India).
Alternatively, the documents can be dispatched to the bank at its centralised address in India. Some banks also provide a PO box facility at overseas locations.
Once the documents are received and are ascertained to be in order, it takes 8-10 working days to add the joint holder.

Points to note

An NRI can be a joint holder with a resident Indian only on a former or survivor basis.
The NRI can add a resident mandate holder to his NRE account.


Courtesy: CIEL & Economic Times
Share This With Someone Who Needs It

2 thoughts on “Guide: How to add a joint holder to a NRE/NRO account”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  1. Hi my son was minor that time my wife deposit the money his name now he is close by 19 Us citizen post office make a check his name how he save his money because he has no bank account in india without indian ID not open his account so what should we do please help us thanks while i am his father I am indian citizen I have bank account in India is it possible that I put his name my account

error: Content is protected !!
Scroll to Top