Indian citizens living in GCC nations – Oman, Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE – and Malaysia will now be able to file consular grievances online as the Indian government launched an e-portal to address such complaints promptly with a high degree of “accountability”.
The portal ‘Madad’ (Help) was launched by Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on Saturday, who said the grievance monitoring facility would enhance ‘accessibility’ for people and fix greater ‘accountability and responsibility’ on officials.
Among the chief characteristics of ‘Madad’ are to speed up forwarding and handling of complaints, improve tracking and redressal and escalate unresolved cases.
How to use the Madad Portal
1. Open the link to Madad portal, which is available as part of Passport Seva Online (www.passportindia.gov.in)
2. First time users need to create an account by entering their name, phone, email and password.
3. Your account should be verified by clicking on a link sent to your email id.
4. After confirming, you can log in using the username and password.
5. You can file your own complaint or on behalf of someone else.
6. The entire history of your grievance would be maintained online and you can check the status and updates by logging in later.
Types of complaints
- Court Case
- Domestic Help
- Imprisoned Abroad
- Marital Dispute
- Mortal Remains
- Salaries / Dues
- Whereabouts Unknown
Colour Code System
The authorities would be assigned responsibility through a colour-coded dashboard that would change colour if the response in not given in a stipulated time.
The colour code system will follow red-amber-green pattern, ie, missions performing well in redressing grievances would be in ‘green’, while say those keeping inordinately pending cases would show as ‘red’.
Maximum priority would be given to cases related to bringing back “mortal remains” of any national.
When the colour code changes, it will escalate the case to higher authorities and the entire history can later be accessed by the complainant in a summary or detailed format.