As the summer heat soars high, the incidents of fires also increase. Types of these fires vary between electric fires, vehicle fires and fires from garbage dump.
Mostly these fires are caused by negligence, high temperatures and lack of knowledge on preventive measures. Here are some tips shared by Qatar’s Ministry of Interior.
- Air conditioners that are operating continuously in a dusty environment can cause fires because the dust can settle over electrical components such as capacitors and cause tracking faults.
- Running all the air conditioners at the same time and for longer periods will cause overload and generate excess heat causing fire.
- Most car fluids are flammable. Heat and electrical sparks plus leaking fluid are all it takes to start a car fire.
- Have your car serviced regularly by a professionally trained mechanic. A well-maintained car is less likely to have a fire.
- Maintain vehicle battery and ensure proper electrical wiring.
- Cracked or loose wiring or electrical problems oil or fluid leaks, rapid changes in fuel or fluid level, or engine temperature are danger signs indicating a risk of fire on vehicle.
- Lack of quality electrical wiring in some homes leads to easy damage to them leading to electric fire.
- Ensure the safety of energy sources at home especially that of gas cylinders. Close them properly and ensure there is no leakage. Gas fires are considered as the most dangerous types of fires.
- Keep children away from power sources at home. Avoid low quality electrical appliances and use good quality wiring cables .
- Avoid running exhaust fans for long time. As well clean them regularly not to cause fire.
- Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
In case of emergency
- Ensure valid fire extinguishers at homes and in cars and learn how to use them properly.
- Don’t hesitate to call 999 in case of an emergency.
- Always keep with you your house no. street no and zone no.