Insurance for dependents: No fine until end of 2016

Dependents and domestic help in UAE will not incur a fine for not having mandatory health insurance cover with a grace period until the end of 2016, a senior health official has said.

“Although it is the legal responsibility of each and every Dubai resident to have a health insurance by June 30, dependents and domestic servants will not be fined if they fail to honour this deadline,” Gulf News quoted Dr. Haider Al Yousuf, Director of Public Health Funding at Dubai Health Authority (DHA) as having said.

“We want to make it clear that we are not extending the deadline, but we are not levying fines in case of these sub-categories in Phase 3 of the implementation. We want people to adopt insurance as a positive step — and not as a result of fear of fines,” he added.

“The visa link for small companies will, however, be activated soon after June 30, but individuals and families will now have until the end of the year to comply,” Khaleej Times quoted Dr. Haider as having said.

The six-month grace period is meant to take the fear out of punitive action or fines on individuals.
So far in the Phase 3 sub-category, nearly 40 per cent people have been covered and the remaining 60 per cent must get their insurance cover by June 30.

Approximately 3.8 million people are on Dubai residence visas. Around 75 per cent of the Dubai population who have Dubai visas already have mandatory health insurance.

It is expected that almost 95 per cent of resident with Dubai visas will have to come under the mandatory health insurance cover within the new deadline by end of 2016.

Share This With Someone Who Needs It
Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!
Scroll to Top