Job change in Qatar possible only if ‘exact visa’ is available

Expatriates seeking to change jobs in Qatar can be recruited by only those companies that have the visa for the same nationality, gender and profession as that of the candidate, Gulf Times has reported.

According to Law No. 21 of 2015 on the Entry, Exit and Residency of Foreign Nationals that came into force on December 13, 2016, migrant workers who have completed the stipulated tenure with their current employers are eligible for change of jobs.

Proper vacancy is needed

But according to clarifications issued by the Ministry of Administrative Development, Labour and Social Affairs (MADLSA), the change can be effected only if a proper vacancy is available.

These and other conditions and regulations for changing employers and leaving the country are specified in a notice issued by the MADLSA on its website. Here is the text from the notice:

Conditions and Regulations for changing the employer

Notice period

Those who are on fixed-term contracts and want to join a new firm should submit a notice of 30 days (before the contract comes to an end), according to the MADLSA.

If an employment contract is open-ended, a worker should stay in the job for a minimum five years to be eligible for a change. In such cases, the notice period to be served will be 30 days if the duration of service is five years and 60 days if the duration is more than five years.

Age should be less than 60

The MADLSA, meanwhile, stressed that the age of the person looking for a new employer should be less than 60 years.

The ministry also plans to stop the renewal of employment contracts of expatriate workers aged 60 and above. The decision stipulates the exit of the expatriate worker after reaching the age of 60 years and accordingly, his residence permit would not be renewed.

The MADLSA further states that the new employer should not have any restrictions on recruitment, such as a hiring ban imposed by the authorities concerned for previous violations.

If arbitration or reconciliation is required, the person concerned should attach relevant documents to prove that the case merits such intervention.

The regulations are meant for private-sector jobs in the country, the notice states.

Expatriates who encounter problems or technical issues while trying to change over to a new job can contact the technical support section at the Ministry of Administrative Development, Labour and Social Affairs at or Phone: 40288888.


- Published on 26 December 2016