The Cochin International Airport Ltd’s (CIAL) new international terminal (Terminal 3) is set to be fully operational from tomorrow 18th April 2017.
Here are the salient features and photos of the world-class terminal.
Double the capacity
With the opening of the Rs 1,000-crore facility, the operational capacity of CIAL will be almost doubled.
The new terminal will be able to handle 4,000 passengers at peak hours instead of the 2,000 passengers at the present international terminal.
- The new terminal will have a total of 80 immigration counters, which will significantly reduce long queues for international travellers. Currently, Terminal 1 facilitates 37 immigration counters.
- With the commissioning of T3’s phase one (south), the terminal will operate nine gates and 10 aerobridges. As of now, T1 facilitates five aerobridges.
More aircrafts at the same time
The T3 terminal will be capable of operating 12 aircrafts at the same time.
Once the second phase of the terminal is completed, the terminal can operate around 25 flights at the same time. As of now, the current international terminal (T1) can operate 5 – 7 aircrafts at one time.
Some salient features of the new international terminal are:
- Two-level terminal : Arrival in ground level and departure in first level
- Finger pier concept to handle 13-15 aircrafts through aero-bridges during peak operation
- Elevated road approach to departure level
- 25 m wide corridor with landscape and connectivity to departure
- 2 World-class food courts and 4 premium lounges
The foundation stone for T3 terminal was laid on February, 1 2014 at the CIAL, which is run on a Public Private Participation (PPP) model.
The phase-II of Terminal 3 is expected to be completed in a year. Also there will be an upgrade in facilities for business and first class passengers. They will have exclusive access to their respective gates.
Facilities at a glance
- Arrival level 0 : 2,000 square feet duty free shop, 6 conveyor belts, 18,000 square feet passenger exit lounge with 2 main exit points, visitors waiting area, meet and greet area
- Arrival level 1 : Connectivity to departure for transit passengers at arrival corridor, Connectivity to remote arrival, immigration counters, aquarium, vertical garden, hanging installations, murals
- Departure level 2 : 56 check-in counters with provision for additional 28, 48 immigration counters, 10,000 square feet duty free shop, 13 security gates
- Departure level 3 : 2 food courts, 4 premium lounges
Most advanced baggage screening
According to CIAL authorities, T3 will have the most advanced baggage screening facility in the country with computed tomography (CT) machines.
It will scan baggage from multiple angles, allowing security officials to get a complete view of the baggage.
The new terminal will also accommodate the arrival and departure of VIP’s, both domestic and international.
The domestic terminal operation will be moved to the old international terminal building once it gets renovated.
The CIAL airport is the fourth busiest airport in the country. Compared to 2015, there has been an increase of 17.8 per cent passengers at the Cochin International Airport, of which, 49, 71,421 are domestic passengers.
Published on 17 April 2017 - Photos courtesy : CIAL